Carrot cupcakes are the miniature version of carrot cakes. The World Carrot Museum posits that carrot cakes originated from carrot puddings enjoyed by Europeans during medieval times, which then arose due to the innate sweetness of the vegetable, making it surprisingly an appropriate ingredient for desserts.
I prefer baking cupcakes over full-sized cakes as there is less chance of baking fails. This is a tweaked version of a recipe I found on Pinterest, adjusted based on availability of ingredients.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 225g bars cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup cold all purpose cream
To make the cupcakes:
- Pre-heat oven to 175-deg C.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Combine grated carrots and oil in a separate bowl. Slowly add flour mixture, while stirring until just mixed. Add beaten egg and stir for a few more times.
- Line muffin pans with paper cups. Fill each cup 2/3 of the way, then bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when you insert it in one of the cakes.
- Set aside and let cool.
To make the frosting:
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Sift powdered sugar into the bowl. Mix then add vanilla.
- Beat in the cream at medium-high speed.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with your desired tip, then pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Top with carrot-shaped candy for a fun and festive look.
Yields 12 moist and yummy cupcakes.
Want to try this recipe today? There’s no need to leave home to shop for ingredients. With Honestbee, just order your groceries online and you’ll get them delivered right at your doorstep at your preferred time. Use this referral link and get Php500 off for a minimum spend of Php2,500. You can download the Honestbee app on iTunes or Google Play.
If you’re in the US and an Amazon Prime member, sign up for a free trial of Amazon Fresh to get your groceries delivered to you.
Check out my other favorite dessert recipes: