We all know that reading is a fundamental skill that not only facilitates more effective learning at school for our kids, but may also set them up for greater success in life.
Reading helps to improve vocabulary and language skills, stimulates imagination and creativity and promotes stronger analytical thinking.
However, with many distractions as well as alternatives for entertainment or information-gathering, reading is often not given priority by youngsters.
This may be because, to them, reading is not a fun activity, or they may be experiencing difficulties in reading that curtail their enjoyment.
As a parent, here are ways you can encourage your kids to love reading:
- Being a role model. Show them that you also get entertained and well-informed through reading. Read newspapers or magazines and share tidbits that could interest them. Apply what you read in a joint activity by following a recipe to bake your children’s favorite treat or an instruction manual to assemble a toy.
- Make it reading a priority activity. You can establish a “reading time” at home when you can read to your little one, or you and an older child can read side by side. Having some snacks in-hand, as well as a comfortable reading are, will help make reading a special bonding activity between and you kids.
- Give them the right tools. If your child doesn’t relish the idea of lugging around books throughout the house or when you go outside, an e-reader may be your best bet.
- Expose your children to different book genres. Join your kids in exploring different genres, especially those that they have expressed prior interest in like mystery, science fiction adventure or non-fiction books related to their interests.
What is a Kindle?
Kindle is a line of portable and wireless electronic reading devices (e-readers) produced by online retailer Amazon.com. They make use of a display technology called electronic paper which produces a sharp screen image that resembles text printed on paper, ensuring an easy and comfortable read.
For kids, an Kindle is more appropriate as a reading device as opposed to other personal mobile devices because:
- It is purpose-built for reading with a glare-free display that reads real paper, even in direct sunlight. Its brightness van be adjusted to let the little ones read comfortably – indoors and outdoors, day and night.
- A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours.
- The kids are subjected to less distractions as there are no games, ads or videos to go to and they can highlight passages, look up definitions, translate words, and adjust text size—without ever leaving the page.
- Purchase of Kindle Kids includes a 1-year subscription to Amazon Kids+, where they can explore popular titles and series. It also includes access to the complete Harry Potter series, and the first book from other popular series such as Artemis Fowl. Parents can purchase additional titles from the Kindle Store.
- It can hold hundreds of e-books, encouraging the little ones to grow their library which they can take with them wherever they go.
- It comes with a 2-year worry-free guarantee. If it breaks, Amazon will replace it for free.
Ready to get this new nifty reading device for the kiddos? Check out your options below!
Get ready to build your kids’ library with the best-selling books below, available in both print and e-book versions.
For kids ages 1 to 3 years old
For kids ages 3 to 5 years old
For kids ages 6 to 8 years old
You are an Amazing Girl: A Collection of Inspiring Stories about Courage, Friendship, Inner Strength and Self-Confidence by Nadia Ross
For kids ages 8 to 12 years old
Take advantage of Amazon Prime Day deals
Ready to shop for your books and Kindle devices? The good news is that you can enjoy great discounts on your Amazon.com purchases during Amazon Prime Day!
On July 12 and 13, 2022, Amazon.com will hold a mega summer sale offering lots of deals on its myriad of products, exclusively to Amazon Prime members.
To take advantage of the awesome deals that await you during Amazon Prime Day, you need to be an Amazon Prime member.
You can also enjoy these exclusive benefits:
- Fast and free delivery. Get two-day, next-day or same-day delivery to a US address for millions of items.
- Prime Video. Get access to fresh movies releases and original award-winning Amazon productions.
- Prime Reading. Get access to a rotating catalogue of e-books and audio books including one free pre-release book every month from editor’s picks.
- and more!
This post contains affiliate links.
Header photo by cottonbro on Pexels