In May, Airbnb introduced Airbnb Categories so that millions of people could discover homes they never knew existed. Today, Airbnb is introducing Airbnb Setup to make it easy for millions of people to Airbnb their home. Airbnb is also providing even more AirCover for Hosts and adding six new Airbnb Categories.
- Introducing Airbnb Setup – The all-new, super easy way to Airbnb one’s home, with free one-to-one guidance from a Superhost.
- Even more AirCover for Hosts – Now featuring even more top-to-bottom protection, with guest identity verification, reservation screening, and $3M damage protection, including coverage for cars, boats, art and valuables.
- New Airbnb Categories – Adding six new categories of homes, as well as improving the way Airbnb Categories are displayed.
“Airbnb was born during a recession. Joe and I couldn’t afford to pay our rent, so we inflated three air mattresses and created an AirBed & Breakfast. Soon, people all around the world joined us,” said Brian Chesky, CEO and Co-Founder of Airbnb. “Today, just like during the Great Recession in 2008, people are especially interested in earning extra income through hosting. That’s why we’re introducing an easy way for millions of people to Airbnb their homes. With Airbnb Setup, every new Host can get free, one-to-one guidance from a Superhost from their first question through their first reservation. And with even more AirCover for Hosts, now is the perfect time to put your place on Airbnb.”
New homes on Airbnb are getting booked almost immediately. Half of listings that were activated and booked in Q3 2022 received their first reservation within three days. Airbnb also saw strong growth rates of new Hosts, especially in certain countries with high inflation rates.
Introducing Airbnb Setup
Over the past year, more than 30 million people have visited Airbnb to learn about hosting. Today, Airbnb is making it easier for millions of people to get started. Introducing Airbnb Setup, the all-new, super easy way to Airbnb one’s home. Airbnb Setup includes:
- One-to-one guidance from a Superhost – When a host begins Airbnb Setup, Airbnb will match them with a Superhost for free one-to-one guidance from their first question through their first guest. New Hosts can chat with their Superhost over audio, video, or messaging. Airbnb is launching with 1,500 Superhosts in over 80 countries who are dedicated to helping new Hosts get started.
- An experienced guest for your first booking – For a new Host’s first booking, they can choose to welcome an experienced guest who has at least three stays and a good track record on Airbnb.
- Specialized support from Airbnb – As a new Host, they get one-tap access to a specially-trained team of Community Support agents. They can help with everything from account issues to getting paid and are available via phone, messaging, or email in over 42 languages.
Even more AirCover for Hosts
Last November, Airbnb introduced AirCover to provide unmatched, top-to-bottom protection for every Host on Airbnb. Today, Airbnb is making major upgrades to AirCover for Hosts:
- Guest identity verification – Airbnb is expanding identity verification to all booking guests traveling to the top 35 countries and regions on Airbnb—representing 90% of all reservations. Airbnb will expand guest identity verification worldwide in Spring 2023.
- Reservation screening technology – Airbnb is launching its proprietary reservation screening technology in the US and Canada, which helps reduce the chance of disruptive parties. Airbnb will expand its reservation screening technology worldwide in Spring 2023.
- $3M damage protection – Airbnb is tripling damage protection from $1 million to $3 million – covering both Hosts’ homes and its contents.
- Auto & boat protection – Airbnb now provides damage protection for cars, boats, and other watercraft that Hosts park or store at their properties.
- Art & valuables protection – A wider range of fine art, jewelry, and collectibles will now be repaired or replaced at appraised value.
- Easier to file a claim – Hosts can now file a claim for damage protection in a few simple steps and easily track its progress from submission through payout.
New Airbnb Categories
In May, Airbnb introduced a new way to search designed around Airbnb Categories. Today, Airbnb is introducing six new categories:
- New – Homes added to Airbnb within the past 10 weeks.
- Top of the world – Homes around 10,000 feet above sea level, often with stunning views.
- Trending – Highly-rated homes that received more listing views compared to the previous week.
- Adapted – Homes adapted for wheelchair access, with verified step-free paths into the home, bedroom and bathroom.
- Play – Homes with basketball courts, game rooms, miniature golf, water slides and more.
- Hanoks – Traditional Korean homes constructed of natural materials.
Airbnb is also improving what categories it shows guests. For example, when you launch the app, you’ll find the Vineyards category if you recently searched for homes in Napa. In addition, more details will be presented in search results when viewing categories. For example, homes with amazing views will list the type of view, and homes near national parks will show the distance to the park entrance.
Worldwide rollout starting today
Airbnb Setup, upgrades to AirCover for Hosts, and new Airbnb Categories will begin rolling out worldwide this week.
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals across over 220 countries and regions. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and one-of-a-kind activities that make it possible for guests to experience the world in a more authentic, connected way. As the only platform offering hosted travel and the ability to live anywhere on a global scale, Airbnb has become a noun and a verb and most traffic to our platform remains organic. We will continue to invest in innovations that expand the travel market and lead the way in turning travel into a way of life.