I got myself a pair of Hershey’s Lava Cake Makers from Gourdo’s a couple of months back.
These nifty plastic mugs enable you to make mug cakes using your microwave oven. They even come with lids so you can have your mug cakes on the go.
Imagine the possibilities:
- Whenever you have craving for sweets, you can easily whip up a dessert
- You can teach your kids how to make their own sweet snacks in a fun, fast and easy way
- You can have something to serve to unexpected guests in a matter of minutes
The packages come with 2 lava cake recipe options: one using the cake mix from Hershey’s and one from scratch. Since I have the ingredients readily available, I decided to make the lava cakes from scratch. I wrote down the recipe as I thought I might lose the hardcopy (and I did!). This recipe yields 2 yummy mug cakes, great for sharing!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, milk and vanilla. Add the flour, sugar and cocoa and whisk to combine.
- To make 1 lava cake: place 1/8 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips at the bottom of the mug, then pour in 1/4 of the batter to cover the chocolate chips. Place another 1/8 cup of chocolate chips then cover them with 1/4 of the batter.
- Microwave on HIGH for 90 secs or until cake is fluffy.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make the second mug cake.
Enjoy the lava cakes while they’re still warm! You can add a few dollops of vanilla ice cream as an extra treat.
If you have trouble finding the Hersheys Lava Cake Makers in local stores, you can order them from Amazon.com.
Want to try this recipe today? There’s no need to leave home to shop for ingredients. With Honestbee, just order your groceries online and you’ll get them delivered right at your doorstep at your preferred time. Use this referral link and get Php500 off for a minimum spend of Php2,500. You can download the Honestbee app on iTunes or Google Play.
If you’re in the US and an Amazon Prime member, sign up for a free trial of Amazon Fresh to get your groceries delivered to you.