I always thought that getting into my 40s would present no big adjustments compared to how I lived my life in my 30s.
After all, age is just a number, right? If the adage that “you’re only as old as you feel” is true, then I should be right smack in the middle of my 20s.
However, time does have a way of catching up with all of us, particularly with regards to our skin.
As we get on in our years, hormonal changes are bound to happen. Our bodies produce less estrogen and progesterone slow down significantly, making our skin cells produce less sebum or oil that keep it soft and supple. These hormonal changes also hamper the renewal process of our skin cells, resulting in a less than glowing complexion as well as the appearance of discoloration, enlarged pores and wrinkles.
What these changes ultimately mean for us is that if we want to come close to looking as young as we actually feel, we should take better care of our skin.
Fortunately, skin care essentially involves four basic steps that we can easily incorporate into our everyday routine:
- Cleansing. The pre-requisite to most skin care routines, this step – which should be done twice a day, in the morning and at night – involves gently removing the dirt and pollutants that our skin comes into contact with.
- Toning. As opposed to the stinging astringents we grew up with, toners are now formulated to balance our skin as well as provide it with additional nutrients and help it absorb those from other products in our skin care regimen.
- Treating. Some skin problems seem to get worse as we age so we need more efficascent tools in our skincare arsenal to address them such as serums. These are medicinal solutions that contain concentrated doses of active ingredients to address specific issues.
- Moisturizing. This step basically hydrates and softens skin by helping to prevent water loss and complement the protective oils found in our skin.
Now, the challenge is where to source the products to use for our skincare regimen.
Would you believe that a brand established in mid-19th century can have skincare solutions that will suit our modern lifestyle?
A heritage of skincare
Kiehl’s started out as an apothecary – the old-timey version of today’s drugstores – situated in New York City in 1851. In the 1920s, the store expanded into a full-service pharmacy stocking tinctures, teas and herbs, started introducing Kiehl’s branded products, along with its signature personalized customer service and implemented generous sampling strategies to induce trial for its products.
While a lot of Kiehl’s best-selling classics such as the Calendula Herbal-Extract Toner, Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 and Ultra Facial Moisturizers were introduced in the 1960s, its collection of advanced skincare called Dermatologist Solutions came about in the mid-2000s.
Today, it is one of the most trusted skincare brands, with nature-inspired and scientifically proven formulas to improve overall skin quality for visibly healthy looking skin.
Its product line includes:
Retinol Daily Micro-Dose Serum (Php4,940/50ml | Php3,950/30ml | Php1,500/10ml).
A potent anti-wrinkle serum with a powerful micro dose of pure Retinol, Peptide and Ceramides that help to visibly reduce wrinkles, firm up skin and improves it texture by promoting surface skin turnover.
Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution (Php4,500/50ml | Php3,500/30ml | Php1,975/10ml)
A targeted dark spot corrector that helps boost radiance and improve skin clarity by diminishing the intensity of dark spots and skin discolorations caused by age and UV exposure, as well as brightening skin over time to achieve an even and radiant skin tone.
Creme de Corps (Php3,300/500ml | Php2,175/250ml)
A rich, non-greasy hydrating body cream enriched with Cocoa Butter, Beta-Carotene and Squalene to moisturize dry skin, leaving it soft and smooth.
Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream (Php2,100/50ml | Php1,450/28ml)
A shine-reducing, cooling gel moisturizer that has a cooling effect to reinvigorate skin while helping maintain its moisture balance and oil production for skin that’s shine-free, fresh-feeling and healthier-looking all day.
Kiehl’s “try before you buy” samples
Kiehl’s pioneered in best practices for health and beauty products such as listing active ingredients and allowing shoppers to try samples of the products prior to purchase. It’s a great way for shoppers to discover new items to incorporate into their skincare routine.
So now, we know that products for an effective skincare routine are not so hard to find.
We can just drop by any of Kiehl’s Metro Manila stores located at:
- Makati: Powerplant Mall, Ayala Greenbelt 5
- Mandaluyong: SM Megamall
- Manila: Robinsons Place Manila
- Muntinlupa: Alabang Town Center
- Pasay: SM Mall of Asia
- Quezon City: Robinsons Place Magnolia, Trinoma Mall
Or we can stock up on our skincare products without leaving the comforts of home by shopping at its online store.