One of my favorite merienda items back when I was little was the egg pie.
I just love the creamy custard filling that’s perfectly complemented by a buttery and flaky crust.
To this day, I still find myself craving for it from time to time, especially during my coffee break.
While it is readily available in my neighborhood, whether via delivery apps or by dropping by a mom-and-pop bakery, I figured it was best to make it from scratch at home, especially since I got hold of this recipe which seems to easy to make.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 300ml condensed milk
- 1 370ml evaporated milk
To make the pie crust:
- Combine flour, salt, sugar and butter in a bowl. Mix until fine crumbs form.
- Add the water and mix until a dough is formed. Cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Roll out the dough on a flour-dusted board until it is 1/8-inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased 9-inc round pan. Trim the excess dough and press the tines of a fork against the edges to create a design, then set aside.
To make the filling:
- In a bowl, whisk together three whole eggs and one egg yolk.
- Add the vanilla, condensed milk and evaporated milk, then stir well until thoroughly combined.
- Strain the mixture twice, then set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form, thrn gently fold into the filling mixture.
To bake the pie:
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Gently tap the pie pan against your work surface to get rid of air bubbles.
- Bake the pie in a pre-heated 180-degree C oven for forty-five to fifty minutes pr until the top turns brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
The baking pie filled our home with the sweet scent of vanilla and custard and the fam could hardly wait for it to be fully cooked so we could all dig in.
We polished off the pan in no time at all!
I’ve made this pie for the fam several times already and it’s a hit every time.
Try this recipe yourself and let me know how it goes!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.