While I consider myself adventurous when it comes to food, I get a hankering for familiar and comfortable flavors every once in a while.
That’s why I dragged my officemates to a branch of Max’s Restaurant near our office for lunch. Aside from offering no-frills but exceedingly flavorful fried chicken, this branch also has sprawling grounds with some green spaces, which provided our eyes with a welcome break from our computer and gadget screens.
Max’s Restaurant had its start in 1945 when Stanford-educated teacher Maximo Gimenez befriended the American GIs stationed in Quezon City and invited them to his home for a drink or two. These visits led to their patronage of the cafe Maximo decided to build, with his sister, Ruby, developing a special recipe for tender, juicy and crispy fried chicken that won the hearts of both the Americans and Pinoys.
During that lunch break, Max’s is where my officemates and I were able to enjoy fuss-free yet tasty fried chicken (best enjoyed with Max’s Banana Ketchup!) and other Pinoy classics such as:
Chopsuey (Php249). The Pinoy’s go-to vegetable dish made with pork and shrimp bits sauteed together with fresh vegetables and chicken liver.
Half-Regular Chicken (Php216). The keto choice for the dieter in the group (spoiler: it wasn’t me!).
Basic Meal (Php199). A quarter fried chicken served with steamed rice, a glass of iced tea or soft drinks and a Caramel Bar.
Fiesta Plate (Php289). The Basic Meal plus choice of fresh or fried Lumpiang Upod (I prefer it fresh :-))
Chicken Leg Quarter with Rice Pork Sinigang and Pepsi (two for Php499).
Not a bad deal for a work day lunch break, yeah?
This Max’s Restaurant branch is located along Scout Tuazon Street, Barangay Laging Handa, Quezon City. During the Enhanced Community Quarantine, it will be open from 10am to 5pm and serving a limited menu for delivery. You may course your orders directly through its delivery numbers +63 2 83751032 05 +63 2 83751052, Max’s delivery website, GrabFood and Food Panda.
Download the Grab App on the App Store or Google Play. Get a discount on your first food order when you use my code: GRABJELLYBEANS.
Use this link to download the FoodPanda app and get Php100 off your first order
Other Metro Manila branches still operating during the Enhanced Community Quarantine include:
- North Manila: Mindanao Avenue (+63 2 88916535), EDSA Caloocan (+63 2 86346501 | +63 2 86346502), Banawe (+63 2 83548804 | +63 2 83548805), Matalino Street (+63 2 89318958), Commonwealth (+63 2 89320810 | +63 2 89520841), Regalado / Robinsons Townville (+63 2 82820476), Taytay (+63 2 68606642 | +63 2 86606643), Antipolo Sumulong (+63 2 84705846), Congressional Avenue (+63 2 89280648), EDSA Eats Main Avenue (+63 919 0883844 | +63 2 79091911)
- South Manila: Valero (+63 2 85198924), Las Pinas (+63 2 88730210), Sucat (+63 2 88252902 | +63 2 88252904), Malacanang (+63 2 77357925 | +63 2 74047365), Ermita (+63 2 85221076 to 77), Pasig Kapitolyo (+63 2 86969806), Market! Market! (+63 2 88867784), Shell C5 Heritage (+63 2 79785724), Forbestown (+63 998 9603867), Baclaran (+63 2 88321991)m Dona Soledad (+63 950 6574682 | +63 975 3665633 | +63 2 77533306)
Check out my reviews of other Filipino restaurants:
- Pares Retiro, Tomas Morato
- 121 Restaurant, Allegro Center
- Manam Comfort Filipino, Trinoma
- Tahanan Bistro, Antipolo
- Liloan’s Pride, California Garden Square
- Bench Cafe, Trinoma
- Kusina Moderne, Poblacion
- Bai’s Boneless Lechon Cebu, Pasig
- Liloan’s Pride Liempo, Greenhills
- Abbiocco, Paligsahan
- Chef Robert, Greenhills
- The Lechon Shop, Tomas Morato
- Angus Tapa Centrale, Tomas Morato
- Gerry’s Grill, Tomas Morato
- Luna J Filipino Gastropub, Tomas Morato
- Gerry’s Grill, SM Marikina
- Bacolod Chicken Parilla, Tomas Morato
- Classic Savory, SM East Ortigas
- Jaytee’s Tagaytay
- Buddy’s, Cubao
- Cabalen, Ayala Malls Feliz
- Limbaga 77, Tomas Morato
- Victorino’s, Tomas Morato
- Locavore, Kapitolyo
- Recipes, Tomas Morato
- Mozu at Ming’s, Tagaytay
- Siglo Modern Filipino, Tagaytay
- Conti’s, Greenbelt
- 13 Ubay Street, Banawe
- Ilustrado Restaurant, Intramuros
- Rico’s Lechon, Tiendesitas
- Fika, Capitol Hills, QC
- Sartin, Tagaytay
- Lazat, Tomas Morato
- Romulo Cafe, Tomas Morato
- Lobo Filipino Tavern, Poblacion
- Joliant, Tomas Morato
- Ombu Kusina, Tomas Morato
- Padi’s Point, Sumulong
- Padi’s Point, Upper Antipolo
- Padi’s Point, Tomas Morato
- Padi’s Point, Metro East
- Sisig Society, Fisher Mall
- Tapsi ni Vivian, Pasig
- Lola Cafe, Tomas Morato
- Pamana, Tomas Morato