La Germania shares 3 easy and irresistible dessert ideas to satisfy your sweet tooth and gift your loved ones this Christmas season
The most wonderful time of the year is right around the corner! It’s no secret the Philippines celebrates the earliest and longest Christmas season in the world, especially when this holiday commemorates the 3 things Pinoy families value the most: faith, family and food.
Approaching the holidays, the kitchen comes alive with the hustle and bustle of delicious meals sizzling on the stove and warming up in the oven, filling the house with mouth watering aromas that beg the curious question: “What are we having?”
However, although this is the most beloved holiday, it can also be the busiest and most stressful season for home cooks. Planning and preparing your Noche Buena meals and ordering gifts can not only be time-consuming, but costly as well.
This holiday season, consider going through the personalized route by baking up a storm and serving up some homemade treats that are handmade with love. These dessert recipes are sure to be the perfect gift for your loved ones, or satisfy their sweet tooths during your holiday feasts.
Take a break from your usual chocolate-chip by making special Christmas cookies.
With your La Germania Table Oven, you can prepare these cute and quirky treats that celebrate the festive spirit! With its thermostat control and 60-minute timer, you can whip up the perfect batch to wow the crowd and experiment with a variety of different recipes even if you have a small kitchen space. Don’t forget to leave some for Santa Claus!
FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. milk
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Food coloring
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set the mixture aside after.
- In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat until combined, then add flour mixture gradually until totally combined.
- Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for an hour.
- When ready to roll, preheat the oven to 350º and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the dough until 1/8” thick.
- Cut out shapes and transfer to prepared baking sheets. You can use cookie cutters for fun shapes. You can also make your own if you’re feeling creative. Freeze it for 10 minutes (so your shapes hold while baking).
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter until smooth, then add powdered sugar and beat until no lumps remain. Add cream, almond extract, and salt and beat until combined.
- Bake cookies until the edges are lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool, then frost and decorate as desired.
Dulce de Leche
You can step up the sweetness this season by making your own Dulce de Leche.
Aside from enjoying it on its own, you can drizzle Dulce de leche on ice cream, add it to your usual brownies, or layer them in smores. There are so many ways to enjoy this versatile dessert, and it will be so easy to make at home with the help of an induction cooker!
A staple in smaller homes, an induction cooker can do a lot of wonders. This heat-tempered glass worktop has a timer and child-lock, meaning you can cook dishes safely and precisely while you bond with your kids in the kitchen.
- 8 cups of whole milk
- 2 to 2 ½ cups sugar (adjust based on your preference)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot over medium-low heat, stir until the sugar or panela is well dissolved. Reduce the heat to low.
- Continue cooking until the mixture is significantly reduced and starts to thicken while the color changes from a creamy beige to a caramel tone. It will take between 2 ½ hours to 3 hours for the dulce de leche to be done.
- During the first 1 ½ hours you will need to stir occasionally to prevent it from boiling over and sticking. During the last hour, it needs to be stirred more frequently and has to be watched very closely to keep it from burning – you can also decrease the heat to low.
- Cook it until it has a dark amber or caramel tone and has a creamy consistency. Keep in mind that it will thicken more when it cools down.
- The final product can be served warm or cold and must be kept refrigerated.
A Noche Buena spread is incomplete without the classic Filipino rice cake known as Bibingka.
With your 90cm oven, you can prepare this holiday favorite at home. With its five cooking functions, including a fan-assisted electric oven, you can cook up a storm. Plus, its enamel cavity finish is easy to clean, making the whole cooking process so much easier. Preparing this particular dish may look like a daunting task, but it’s actually pretty easy to make.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh milk
- 1 piece salted duck egg sliced
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 3 pieces raw eggs
- Pre-cut banana leaf
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, combine rice flour, baking powder, and salt then mix well. Set aside.
- Cream the butter then gradually put-in sugar while whisking. Then, add the eggs then whisk until every ingredient is well incorporated.
- Gradually add the rice flour, salt, and baking powder mixture then continue mixing.
- Pour in coconut milk and fresh milk then whisk some more for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Arrange the pre-cut banana leaf on a cake pan or baking pan.
- Pour the mixture on the pan, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven then top with sliced salted egg and grated cheese (do not turn the oven off).
- Put back in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the color of the top turns medium brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Brush the dish with butter and sprinkle some sugar on top once it cools. You can also top this with grated coconut.
These are only some of the mouthwatering holiday treats you can prepare with your La Germania kitchen appliances. Built according to the highest European standards in terms of construction and design, La Germania appliances allow you to prepare your Noche Buena extravaganza in an efficient and easy way.
What’s more, as a special holiday treat, enjoy FREE aprons and cookware for a minimum spend of Php 5,000 when you shop on La Germania’s website during their 11.11 sale this November 11-30, 2021. With guaranteed durability and superior quality, they’re a good investment for you to channel your inner chef, and unleash your kitchen genius for all seasons to come!
La Germania products are available online through La Germania’s official e-commerce website www.lagermaniaph.com and e-commerce platforms on Shopee and Lazada. For more information on La Germania and its products, you may follow the official Facebook and Instagram accounts of the trusted kitchen and appliance brand.
About La Germania
Italian-heritage brand La Germania has been the preferred kitchen companion of Filipino homemakers for 53 years and counting. Its wide array of ovens, cooktops, and stoves is made of high-grade materials and designed to stand the test of time and extensive use. La Germania’s current line of products continues to serve the cooking needs and lifestyle of this generation and the next.
Recipes and food images provided by La Germania in a recent press release.
Header photo Freepik.