Comfort food are fare that provide the diner with a feeling of consolation or well-being and are oftentimes associated with the food enjoyed at home or during childhood.
While these evoke nostalgia and sentimentality, they also excite the taste buds and stir anticipation.
After a typical morning at the office, my officemates and I opted to get some comfort and good eats at the newly opened branch of Manam in Trinoma.
We were welcomed by Manam’s friendly and accommodating wait staff as well as its well-appointed yet cozy interiors.
Manam was formerly known as NamNam, and it boasts of a menu that offers both the classic renditions as well as fresh twists on Pinoy cuisine.
That day, we feasted on these dishes:
Adobong Kangkong (Php98). Kangkong (water spinach) shoots sauteed in garlic and soy-vinegar.
Gising Gising (Php125). Sigarilyas and kangkong sauteed with pork and chilis in coconut cream and bagoong (shrimp paste).
Pinakbet (Php130). Okra, string beans, eggplant, squash and tomatoes sauteed in with pork bits and shrimp in bagoong.
Mangga at Bagoong (Php140). Sliced green mango and shrimp paste, this combo is famous for that sour-salty dynamic.
Caramelized Patis Wings (Php170). A twist on fried chicken, patis (fish sauce) flavors the zesty wings.
Crunchy Salt and Pepper Squid (Php280). Lightly battered squid pieces tossed in a crunchy mixture of stir-fried garlic and chilis.
House Crispy Sisig (Php398). Ranked as the No. 1 Sisig in Manila for two consecutive years, this dish features chopped pork jowl and cheek served sizzling.
Sinigang na Beef Short Rib and Watermelon (Php775 for family size). The sour broth of the beef sinigang is given a slightly sweet twist with the addition of watermelon.
Bibingka de Leche (Php125). A layer of leche flan (caramel egg custard) tops a pancake-like rice cake.
Kape, Sago at Gulaman (Php105). The samalamig (Filipino version of slushy drink) given a twist with the addition of coffee flavors.
Puto Bumbong with Muscovado Butter (Php80). The classic purple rice cake traditionally steamed in bamboo tubes accompanied by grated cheese, grated coconut and a bar of muscovado-enriched butter.
What a delicious way to get some comfort on a work day!
This branch of Manam Comfort Filipino is located at Ground Floor, Trinoma Mall Garden Wing, Bagong Pag Asa, Quezon City, open daily from 10am to 10pm. For inquiries and reservations, call +63 2 79005750.
Other branches are located at:
- Powerplant Mall, Rockwell, Makati
- Net Park, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
- O Square, Greenhills Shopping Center, San Juan
- South Wing, SM Mall of Asia, Pasay
- Ayala Malls Manila Bay, Entertainment City, Paranaque
- SM North EDSA, Bago Bantay, Quezon City
- SM City Fairview, Novaliches, Quezon City
- Ayala Fairview Terraces, Novaliches, Quezon City
Check out my reviews of other Filipino restaurants:
- Liloan’s Pride, California Garden Square
- Bench Cafe, Trinoma
- Kusina Moderne, Poblacion
- Bai’s Boneless Lechon Cebu, Pasig
- Liloan’s Pride Liempo, Greenhills
- Abbiocco, Paligsahan
- Chef Robert, Greenhills
- The Lechon Shop, Tomas Morato
- Angus Tapa Centrale, Tomas Morato
- Gerry’s Grill, Tomas Morato
- Luna J Filipino Gastropub, Tomas Morato
- Gerry’s Grill, SM Marikina
- Bacolod Chicken Parilla, Tomas Morato
- Classic Savory, SM East Ortigas
- Jaytee’s Tagaytay
- Buddy’s, Cubao
- Cabalen, Ayala Malls Feliz
- Limbaga 77, Tomas Morato
- Victorino’s, Tomas Morato
- Locavore, Kapitolyo
- Recipes, Tomas Morato
- Mozu at Ming’s, Tagaytay
- Siglo Modern Filipino, Tagaytay
- Conti’s, Greenbelt
- 13 Ubay Street, Banawe
- Ilustrado Restaurant, Intramuros
- Rico’s Lechon, Tiendesitas
- Fika, Capitol Hills, QC
- Sartin, Tagaytay
- Lazat, Tomas Morato
- Romulo Cafe, Tomas Morato
- Lobo Filipino Tavern, Poblacion
- Joliant, Tomas Morato
- Ombu Kusina, Tomas Morato
- Padi’s Point, Sumulong
- Padi’s Point, Upper Antipolo
- Padi’s Point, Tomas Morato
- Padi’s Point, Metro East
- Sisig Society, Fisher Mall
- Tapsi ni Vivian, Pasig
- Lola Cafe, Tomas Morato
- Pamana, Tomas Morato