Did you know that Tokugawa Mitsukuni, a prominent daimyo that lived during the early Edo period in 1600s, was claimed to be the first person to ever eat ramen? The dish was said to have been introduced to him by Chinese neo-Confucian scholar Zhu Shunsui who became the daimyo’s advisor after fleeing the Manchu rule in China and seeking refuge in Japan.
After a business meeting in SM Mall of Asia, my officemates and I decided to have lunch at Ippudo for a taste of its celebrated ramen.
Founded in 1985 by Shigemi Kawahara, who has been dubbed The Ramen King, Ippudo is the stage by which the famed ramen chef showcases his “tao” – the way of the ramen. This is centered on the philosophy of continuously innovating to remain true.
My lunchmates and I were able to het a taste of Ippudo’s artistry and innovation with our orders.
Tantanmen (Php520). Made with thick wavy noodles immersed in Ippudo’s signature tonkotsu (pork bone) broth infused with tantanmen oil. It topped with a generous serving of ground pork, torched chasu (pork belly), cilantro, parmesan cheese and onsen tamago.
Shiromaru Special (Php495). In this classic Hakata-style ramen, pork belly and pork loin are placed on top of ultra-thin noodles in Ippudo’s tonkotsu broth, garnished with salted soft-boiled egg and seaweed.
Shiromaru Tamago (Php420). The Shiromaru with salted soft-boiled egg.
Akamaru Special (Php499). In this modern-style ramen, a special blend of miso paste and garlic enhances Ippudo’s tonkotsu broth. Served with thin noodles and pork belly slices, it is topped by ajikikurage (flavored black fungus), salted soft-boiled egg and seaweed.
It was easy to discern the care and craftmanship that went into the ramen, from the flavorful broth, the springy noodles to the meticulously prepared toppings. These bowls are quite pricy too, so they’re not for everyday eating, but well-suited for those times when you want to treat yourself to an exceptional bowl of ramen.
You might be wondering how you can enjoy Ippudo’s carefully crafted ramen during quarantine. You would be glad to know that it recently opened some of its branches for curbside or courier pickups, making it possible for ramen lovers to have Ippudo at Home. Here’s how:
- Send a message to a Yabu branch nearest you via Viber (+63 919 0744557 for SM Megamall, Greenbelt 5 and Powerplant Mall | +63 919 0744564 for Ayala Malls the 30th, Robinsons Magnolia, Ayala Malls Vertis North | +63 919 0744560 for Uptown Mall, Mall of Asia and Robinsons Place Manila)
- Include the following details in your message: name, email address, birthday, date, time and store for pickup, orders and desired quantity
- After receiving billing confirmation, make your payments via GCash, BPI or BDO
- Send proof of payment via Viber
- Arrange for pickup
So if you’ve been longing for a taste of Ippudo, fret not. Your lovely bowl of ramen is just a few phone taps away!
This Ippudo branch is located at Second Floor, Main Mall, SM Mall of Asia, Mall of Asia Complex, Pasay City.
Other branches are located at:
- Robinsons Place Manila
- Robinsons Magnolia
- Ayala Malls Vertis North
- Greenbelt 5
- Power Plant Mall
- Uptown Place Mall
- SM Megamall
- Ayala Malls the 30th
Check out my reviews of other Japanese restaurants:
- Yabu, Robinsons Galleria
- Soru Izakaya, Maginhawa
- Soru Izakaya, Tomas Morato
- Ramen Len, Santa Lucia
- Marugame Udon, Fisher Mall
- Sigekiya Ramen, Estancia Mall
- Omakase, Greenhills
- Ramen Cool, Kapitolyo
- Fumizen, Tomas Morato
- Yabu, Ayala Malls Feliz
- Nanka Japanese Steakhouse, Paligsahan
- Hanako, Regis Katipunan
- KYUKYU Ramen 99, Tomas Morato
- Fukuruo Nihonryori, Cainta
- ICHO Japanese Restaurant, Greenhills
- Shizuka Cafe, Little Baguio
- Hodai, West Triangle
- Tori Chizu, UP Town Center
- Yabu, Robinsons Place Magnolia
- Sandaya Yakiniku, Fisher Mall
- Dads-Saisaki-Kamayan, SM Megamall
- Katsu Sora, Greenhills
- Cafe Shibuya, Glorietta
- Ariake, Tomas Morato
- Rai Rai Ken, SM Taytay
- Tokyo Bubble Tea, Tomas Morato
- Ramen Nagi, SM North
- Yoshinoya, SM City North EDSA
- Hiro, SM East Ortigas
- Ramen Nagi, Robinsons Galleria
- Katsu Sora, Trinoma
- Isaribi, Tomas Morato
- Zipang, Tomas Morato
- Omotenashi, Tomas Morato
- Saboten, BGC
- Osaka Takoyaki, SM East Ortigas
- Tenya Tempura Tendon, BGC
- Hanamaruken, Trinoma
- Teriyaki Boy, SM East Ortigas
- Ramen Kuroda, SM Marikina
- Don Bao, Kapitolyo
- Ramen Nagi, Greenbelt
- Menya Noodle & Bento Bar, Greenhills
- Kazoku, Tomas Morato
- Izakaya Flame, BGC
- Dohtonbori, SM Megamall
- Dohtonbori, Greenhills
- Sumo Sam, Gateway Mall
- Soru Izakaya, Ugong