The enjoyment of food need not be a sombre affair.
This is quite apparent when dining at Soru Izakaya, the Japanese restaurant hidden in Quezon City’s Tomas Morato suburbs.
An izakaya is the Japanese version of the gastropub, a place where office workers can hang out after hours to have some drinks and a light meal.
At Soru Izakaya, fun permeates everything. The colorful interiors, for instance, are inspired by the aesthetic of bishoujo manga, traditional Japanese art as well as the bustling Tokyo nightlife.
The food, on the other hand, is no less playful. Together with fellow Zomato bloggers and foodies, I checked out Soru Izakaya’s unique takes on Japanese food which include:
Lava Maki (Php430). Salmon skin, crabsticks and mango topped with cubes of salmon and tuna doused with a mixture of spicy mayo and teriyaki sauce.
Gyu Maki (Php290). Thinly sliced beef strips, seasoned shiitake mushrooms, cream cheese and tamago topped onsen egg.
Tori Kasai Maki (Php290). Spiced chicken thigh, cream cheese and kimchi topped with torched cheese.
Poke Bowl (Php330). Fresh salad greens, ripe mango, cucumber mixed with cubes of salmon and tuna doused in a mildly spicy dressing and topped with wakame and nori.
Spicy Maguro Salad (Php355). Cold salad greens with miso and salad dressing serve as a bed for fresh tuna cubes topped with crispy tempura flakes.
Tomahawk Katsu (Php355). Tender pork tomahawk cutlet, breaded and deep-fried doused in a sweet and savory katsu sauce and served with shredded cabbage in a roasted sesame dressing.
Tsukumen (Php360). Thick udon noodles topped with chashu slices and tamago served with a hot flavorful broth for dipping.
Tiramisu (Php250). Layers of frozen coffee-flavored lady fingers layered with cream cheese frosting, creamy ganache and blueberries.
Dark Choco Moist Cake (Php220). A moist chocolate cake base covered in dark chocolate infused buttercream frosting.
Soru Nabe Special Hotpot (Php399 per person | +Php100 with seafood). This includes unlimited refills of:
- Broth: choice of two among Tonkotsu, Spicy Tonkotsu, Sukiyaki, Curry, Chicken, Miso and Spicy Miso
- Meat: beef, chicken and pork
- Seafood: shrimp, clams, mussels, squid and fish fillet
- Balls: assorted balls and kani
- Noodles: vermicelli, glass noodles and egg
- Entrees: gyoza, yakisoba, tempura, beef bowl, pork bowl, smoked pork bowl, chicken wings, vegetable tempura, takoyaki
- Vegetables: napa cabbage, carrots, squash, white onions, enoki, bokchoy, corn, taro, kangkong and black fungus
- Sides: kimchi, potato marble, kakiage, cucumber, steamed rice and chahan
This offering inspired by the Japanese nabemono (from words nabe or “cooking pot” and mono or “thing”) is best enjoyed with a rambunctious group like ours.
So here’s my recommendation: when the enhanced community quarantine is lifted, how about we head off to Soru Izakaya along with our buddies for some fun times with food? You game?
Until then, why not have its dishes delivered to you? During the ECQ, Soru Izakaya’s Maginhawa branch is open from 10am to 5pm daily with a limited menu available for takeout or delivery via Grab Express or Lalamove. To order, text your name, address, contact number and orders to +63 917 7040515, +63 917 6363526 or +63 935 7830298.
This Soru Izakaya branch is located at Scout Torillo corner Scout Fernandez Street, Barangay Sacred Heart, Quezon City.
Other branches are located at:
- Burgos Circle, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City
- Ground Floor, 140 Maginhawa Street, Sikatuna Village, Quezon City
Disclosure: Together with other food bloggers, I was invited to attend a Zomato Foodie Meetup held in this restaurant. Food items mentioned here were served to allow us to sample the fare and were not paid for by the attendees, including myself.
Check out my reviews of other Japanese restaurants:
- Ramen Len, Santa Lucia
- Marugame Udon, Fisher Mall
- Sigekiya Ramen, Estancia Mall
- Omakase, Greenhills
- Soru Izakaya, Tomas Morato
- Ramen Cool, Kapitolyo
- Fumizen, Tomas Morato
- Yabu, Ayala Malls Feliz
- Nanka Japanese Steakhouse, Paligsahan
- Hanako, Regis Katipunan
- KYUKYU Ramen 99, Tomas Morato
- Fukuruo Nihonryori, Cainta
- ICHO Japanese Restaurant, Greenhills
- Shizuka Cafe, Little Baguio
- Hodai, West Triangle
- Tori Chizu, UP Town Center
- Yabu, Robinsons Place Magnolia
- Sandaya Yakiniku, Fisher Mall
- Dads-Saisaki-Kamayan, SM Megamall
- Katsu Sora, Greenhills
- Cafe Shibuya, Glorietta
- Ariake, Tomas Morato
- Rai Rai Ken, SM Taytay
- Tokyo Bubble Tea, Tomas Morato
- Ramen Nagi, SM North
- Yoshinoya, SM City North EDSA
- Hiro, SM East Ortigas
- Ramen Nagi, Robinsons Galleria
- Katsu Sora, Trinoma
- Isaribi, Tomas Morato
- Zipang, Tomas Morato
- Omotenashi, Tomas Morato
- Saboten, BGC
- Osaka Takoyaki, SM East Ortigas
- Tenya Tempura Tendon, BGC
- Hanamaruken, Trinoma
- Teriyaki Boy, SM East Ortigas
- Ramen Kuroda, SM Marikina
- Don Bao, Kapitolyo
- Ramen Nagi, Greenbelt
- Menya Noodle & Bento Bar, Greenhills
- Kazoku, Tomas Morato
- Izakaya Flame, BGC
- Dohtonbori, SM Megamall
- Dohtonbori, Greenhills
- Sumo Sam, Gateway Mall
- Soru Izakaya, Ugong
One thought on “Playful takes on Japanese cuisine at Soru Izakaya, Tomas Morato”
Wow! Looking so yummy hope na makatikim din kami ng family ko mukhang masarap pagsaluhan 😍😋😋