One of my challenges as a work-from-home mommy during quarantine is keeping the fam energized for all the things we need to do at home. Whether these tasks involve Zoom meetings with work colleagues, attending online classes or simply doing our tasks to maintain the household, giving Hubby and kiddos a tasty snack to tide them over between mealtimes is crucial to the continued harmony of our home during quarantine.
One of my go-to snack treats for the fam is the Jamaican Pattie.
As its name implies, this meat-filled pastry came from Jamaica but had roots from among the various cultures present in the country during its colonial period. From the Cornish immigrants came the baked pastry, while the Indian and African laborers contributed the use of cumin, curry and cayenne pepper. Together, these influences have produced a tasty and filling savory dish.
Here in Manila, the Jamaican Pattie was introduced and popularized by de Original Jamaican Pattie Shop & Juice Bar. In these kiosks, the delicious pastries are baked – not fried – fresh everyday.
For the kiddos and myself, the Cheezy Beef Jamaican patties hit the spot while Hubby’s favorite pattie is the Cheezy Pinatubo. The patties’ flaky crust and generous filling make for an enjoyable family snackin’.
Previously, we could only get these patties when we go to malls but since the quarantine, the chain’s kiosks have begun offering their wares for delivery via its official delivery partner Coco Delivery, or through GrabFood and FoodPanda.
Download the Grab App and get a discount on your first food order when you use my code: GRABJELLYBEANS.
Use this link to download the FoodPanda app and get Php100 off your first order.
Check out my blog posts on comfort food joints around the metro:
- De Original Jamaican Pattie Shop & Juice Bar, Bridgetowne Business Center
- Subway, Rockwell Business Club
- Subway, Libis
- Rabbitgirl’s Dairy Bread, Tomas Morato
- Dean & DeLuca, Tomas Morato
- Celsius, Lamp Quarters
- Sourdough Cafe + Deli, Tomas Morato
- Prologue Neighborhood Kitchen, Tomas Morato
- Press by Fully Booked, Powerplant Mall
- Cafe Shibuya, Trinoma
- Cafe Shibuya, Glorietta
- The Fat Seed Cafe + Roastery, UP Town Center
- Hustle Cafe, Tomas Morato
- Artesa Deli + Coffee, Kapitolyo
- Pookaberry Cafe, Tomas Morato
- Cafe Tribu, Victoria de Morato
- Cafe Tribu, Kamuning
- Cafe Tribu, Gloria Diaz
- Bluesmith Coffee & Kitchen, Greenbelt
- Little Owl Cafe, New Manila
- Starbucks, Tomas Morato
- Starbucks, SM East Ortigas
- The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Tomas Morato
- The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Venice Piazza
- The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, SM East Ortigas
- White Camp Coffee, Tomas Morato