As we age, our bodies undergo a variety of changes. One area that can be particularly affected is our mouth. Mouth aging can lead to a range of dental and oral health issues, as well as aesthetic concerns.
Personally, I’ve become self-conscious over some of these changes which affects both my comfort and confidence.
So don’t we explore some of the most common changes that occur in the mouth as we age, as well as tips for maintaining good oral health throughout the aging process.
Tooth and Gum Changes
One of the most noticeable changes that can occur in the mouth with age is the loss of teeth. This can be due to a variety of factors, including decay, gum disease, or even genetics. Tooth loss can impact our ability to eat and speak, as well as our overall confidence and self-esteem.
However, tooth loss is not an inevitable part of aging, and there are steps that can be taken to prevent it. Regular dental check-ups and good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing daily, can help to maintain healthy teeth and gums.
In addition to tooth loss, we can also experience changes in our gums. Gum tissue can recede, which can lead to sensitivity and increased risk of decay. Gum disease, or periodontitis, is also more common in older adults. This condition is caused by bacteria that infect the gums and can lead to tooth loss if left untreated. Regular dental cleanings and good oral hygiene practices can help to prevent gum disease and other oral health issues.
Changes in Taste
Another common change that can occur in the mouth as we grow older is a decrease in taste sensitivity. This can be due to a variety of factors, including changes in the number and function of taste buds. This can make it more difficult to enjoy food (definitely a dire fate for a foodie like me!) and can lead to poor nutrition if our diet becomes limited as a result. To maintain good nutrition and enjoyment of food, it’s important to focus on eating a balanced diet and incorporating a variety of flavors and textures.
Dry mouth, or xerostomia, is another common issue that comes with age. This condition is caused by a decrease in the production of saliva, which can lead to discomfort, difficulty swallowing, and an increased risk of tooth decay. Dry mouth can be caused by a variety of factors, including medication use and certain medical conditions. Drinking plenty of water and using sugar-free gum or lozenges can help to stimulate saliva production and alleviate dry mouth symptoms.
Finally, older adults are at an increased risk of developing oral cancer. This condition can be caused by a variety of factors, including tobacco and alcohol use, as well as exposure to certain viruses. Regular dental check-ups can help to detect and treat oral cancer early, which can improve treatment outcomes.
Maintaining Good Oral Health
Despite the changes that can occur in the mouth as we age, there are steps that can be taken to maintain good oral health. Regular dental check-ups, good oral hygiene practices, and a balanced diet can all help to prevent dental and oral health issues. It’s also important to avoid tobacco and excessive alcohol use, which can increase the risk of oral cancer and other health issues.
I’ve come to realize that mouth aging is a natural part of the aging process, but it’s important to take steps to maintain good oral health. By practicing proper oral hygiene and working with our dentists, we can enjoy a healthy, happy smile throughout our lives.
Oral care with Listerine Total Care
Listerine Total Care is a popular mouthwash that is designed to provide comprehensive oral care, serving as an all-in-one solution for a range of dental and oral health issues. Some of its key features include:
- Antiseptic properties. It contains antiseptic ingredients that can help to kill bacteria in the mouth. This can help to reduce plaque and prevent gum disease.
- Fluoride. It contains fluoride, which can help to strengthen tooth enamel and prevent tooth decay.
- Tartar control. Listerine Total Care can help to prevent the formation of tartar, which can lead to gum disease and tooth loss.
- Fresh breath. Listerine Total Care can help to freshen breath by killing bacteria that cause bad odors.
To get the most out of Listerine Total Care, it’s important to use it correctly, in particular:
- Follow the instructions. Listerine Total Care should be used twice a day, after brushing your teeth. Follow the instructions on the bottle carefully, and do not swallow the mouthwash.
- Rinse for the full 30 seconds. To get the full benefit of Listerine Total Care, it’s important to rinse for the full 30 seconds as directed on the label. This will allow the antiseptic ingredients to work properly and kill bacteria in the mouth.
- Use a small amount. You do not need to use a lot of Listerine Total Care to get the benefits. Use the recommended amount, which is about 20 milliliters or 4 teaspoons.
- Be patient. It may take a few weeks of using Listerine Total Care regularly to see significant improvements in oral health. Be patient and consistent with your use of this mouthwash.
Mouth aging may be inevitable but we can keep its ill effects by maintaining good oral hygiene practices. This includes brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing regularly, eating a balanced diet that is low in sugar, having regular dental check-ups and, of course, using Listerine Total Care.
Listerine Total Care is readily available in leading supermarkets and drugstores. You can also buy it from Amazon.com and Lazada.
Product samples were provided for this feature.