Who would have thought that an Italian missionary would establish a tasty culinary tradition in the Philippines?
Well that’s exactly what happened when Salesian Father Gianluigi Colombo decided to open a canteen (then called Amici di Don Bosco or “Friends of Don Bosco”) to cater to the workers of Don Bosco’s printing press.
Its initially simple menu of coffee and gelato which later expanded to include wood-fire oven baked pizzas and homemade pastas. Amici later became known for serving tasty and authentic Italian food prepared by priests grew and developed its own loyal following.
Today, Amici has 9 branches in Metro Manila, one of which is in SM City North EDSA where my fellow foodies and I headed for dinner after attending a few events.
There, we shared a meal which included:
Truffle Mushroom Dip (Php385). Truffle, porcini, shiitake and button mushrooms mixed together with caramelized onions in a rich creamy sauce. Dip the crisp pieces of pizza crust served with it and you’ll find yourself addicted to this.
Pesto Prosciutto (Php400). A hearty dish of penne pasta covered in creamy pesto sauce and topped with fried prosciutto.
Linguine al Prosciutto e Tartufo (Php380). Al dente linguine pasta tossed in a sauce of proscuitto, truffle oil, porcini and shiitake mushrooms.
Since Amici translates to “friends,” it looks like its yummy offerings are best shared among friends.
Hankering for a taste of good Italian food but can’t go out because of the enhanced community quarantine? Amici’s Tomas Morato and Don Bosco branches are now open for pick up or delivery. Just call in your orders through Amici’s hotline +63 2 85551000.
This Amici branch is located at Ground Floor, The Block, SM City North EDSA, Bago Bantay, Quezon City, with store hours from 10am to 10pm daily. For inquiries and reservations, call +63 2 85551000 or +63 2 87095545.
Other branches are located at:
- Level 3, One Bonifacio High Street Mall, 28th Street corner 5th Avenue, Bonifacio Global City in Taguig
- Bellagio Square, Tomas Morato Avenue, Laging Handa, Quezon City
- Ground Floor, UP Ayala Technohub, Commonwealth Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City
- Ground Floor, 101 Missouri Square, Missouri corner Connecticut Street, Greenhills, San Juan City
- Third Floor, Mega Atrium, SM Megamall, Ortigas, Mandaluyong City
- Ayala Triangle Gardens, Salcedo Village, Makati City
- Don Bosco School, A. Arnaiz Avenue, San Lorenzo, Makati City
- Second Floor, Alabang Town Center, Alabang, Muntinlupa City
Check out my reviews of other restaurants offering Italian food:
- Amici, One Bonifacio High Street
- Mama Lou’s Italian Kitchen, Ayala Vertis North
- Cucina di Francesco, Libis
- Little Owl Cafe, New Manila
- New York Slice by Motorino, SM Pasig
- Amici, Ayala Triangle
- Amare la Cucina, Baguio
- Friuli Tratoria, UP Town Center