My friends know that I’m quite a ramen lover but I’ve also been known to expand my range when it comes to gustatory adventures.
One such expansion was when my officemates first introduced me to the delights of another kind of Japanese noodle dish at the Marugame Udon branch in SM North EDSA.
Udon differs from ramen in the size and texture of noodles: udon noodles are straight, thicker and have a softer and chewier texture than ramen noodles. They also tend to absorb the flavor of the udon broth more easily.
Marugame Udon is the largest udon noodles restaurant chain in the world with over a thousand stores worldwide where authentic udon noodles are freshly kneaded, boiled and cooked upon order everyday.
At Marugame Udon, customers get in line in front of the open-style kitchen to choose their udon according to the numbers displayed and then choose their desired toppings to customize their orders before they pay at the cashier.
Among the dishes my friends and I enjoyed are:
Beef Ontama Bukkake Udon (Php210 regular | Php260 large). Comes with marinated gyudon beef strips, Japanese poached egg, and bukkake soup.
Chicken Paitan Udon (Php200 regular | Php250 large). Comes with sauteed chicken, a soft boiled egg, and flavorful chicken soup with a distinct taste of cracked pepper.
Gyudon (Php170). Beef strips flavored with a sweet-savory sauce and garnished with onions on top of rice
Well, it sure looks like there’s a new addition to my Japanese food cravings!
If you’ve got a craving for udon but are stuck at home due to the enhanced community quarantine, you’ll be glad to know that Marugame Udon re-opened its BGC branch yesterday to cater to takeout and delivery customers. It is open weekdays from 11am to 5pm and can take pre-orders via +63 2 77999184 or +63 916 6270275.
How about when the quarantine is done and we’re all back to our regularly scheduled programming, we go out to have another serving of Marugame Udon’s offerings, eh?
This Marugame Udon branch is located at Upper Ground Floor, Main Building, SM City North EDSA, Bago Bantay, Quezon City.
Other branches are located at:
- Level 2, Robinsons Galleria, Ortigas, Quezon City
- Second Floor, The Podium, ADB Avenue, Ortigas, Mandaluyong City
- Third Floor, Building A, SM Megamall, Ortigas, Mandaluyong City
- Ground Floor, SM City Marikina, Marcos Highway, Calumpang, Marikina City
- Ground Floor, O Square Building 2, Greenhills Shopping Center, Greenhills
- Ground Floor, Uptown Place Mall, 36th Street corner 9th Avenue, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
- Ground Floor, SM City Cubao, Araneta Center, Cubao, Quezon City
- B7, Bonifacio High Street, Lane P, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
- Ground Floor, Phase 2, UP Town Center, Katipunan Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City
- Ground Floor, Main Mall, Ayala Malls Circuit, Carmona, Makati City
- Third Floor, Glorietta 4, Ayala Center, Glorietta Complex, Makati City
- Lower Ground Floor, Fisher Mall, Quezon Avenue, Del Monte, Quezon City
- Upper Ground Floor, Main Building, SM City Fairview, Novaliches, Quezon City
Check out my reviews of other Japanese restaurants:
- Ramen Len, Santa Lucia
- Marugame Udon, Fisher Mall
- Sigekiya Ramen, Estancia Mall
- Omakase, Greenhills
- Soru Izakaya, Tomas Morato
- Ramen Cool, Kapitolyo
- Fumizen, Tomas Morato
- Yabu, Ayala Malls Feliz
- Nanka Japanese Steakhouse, Paligsahan
- Hanako, Regis Katipunan
- KYUKYU Ramen 99, Tomas Morato
- Fukuruo Nihonryori, Cainta
- ICHO Japanese Restaurant, Greenhills
- Shizuka Cafe, Little Baguio
- Hodai, West Triangle
- Tori Chizu, UP Town Center
- Yabu, Robinsons Place Magnolia
- Sandaya Yakiniku, Fisher Mall
- Dads-Saisaki-Kamayan, SM Megamall
- Katsu Sora, Greenhills
- Cafe Shibuya, Glorietta
- Ariake, Tomas Morato
- Rai Rai Ken, SM Taytay
- Tokyo Bubble Tea, Tomas Morato
- Ramen Nagi, SM North
- Yoshinoya, SM City North EDSA
- Hiro, SM East Ortigas
- Ramen Nagi, Robinsons Galleria
- Katsu Sora, Trinoma
- Isaribi, Tomas Morato
- Zipang, Tomas Morato
- Omotenashi, Tomas Morato
- Saboten, BGC
- Osaka Takoyaki, SM East Ortigas
- Tenya Tempura Tendon, BGC
- Hanamaruken, Trinoma
- Teriyaki Boy, SM East Ortigas
- Ramen Kuroda, SM Marikina
- Don Bao, Kapitolyo
- Ramen Nagi, Greenbelt
- Menya Noodle & Bento Bar, Greenhills
- Kazoku, Tomas Morato
- Izakaya Flame, BGC
- Dohtonbori, SM Megamall
- Dohtonbori, Greenhills
- Sumo Sam, Gateway Mall
- Soru Izakaya, Ugong