Peri-peri (also spelled as piri-piri or pili-pili), is a type of chili that is grown in Southeastern Africa, taking its name from the Swahili term for “pepper.” Also known as the African bird’s eye chili, its cultivation and culinary use was spread by the Portuguese to their Indian territories.
When combined with salt, garlic, lemon, oil and vinegar into a sauce, called the peri-peri sauce, it provides a distinctive flavor to the chicken dish that also bears its name.
At Peri-Peri Charcoal Chicken, the chickens are trimmed of excess fat and marinated for 24 hours to achieve a tender and juicy meat before grilling, giving diners an explosion of spice and smokiness with every bite. Despite its exotic food offerings, Peri-Peri is actually a home-grown brand, part of the I-Foods, Inc. group, and has been in operation for over decade.
During a weekend shopping trip at the Eastwood City Mall, the family stopped over at this restaurant for lunch. We ordered:
- Mozarella Sticks (Php150), served with marinara sauce and Ceasar dip. These crunchy sticks whetted our appetite for more.
- Quarter chicken with Java Rice (Php195) for the little boy who is not so into side dishes.
- Quarter chicken with Java Rice and Coleslaw (Php230) and a side of Hummus (Php65) for his dad.
- Quarter chicken with Tortilla and Coleslaw (Php230) for me.
- Quarter chicken with Java Rice and Bacon Mac & Cheese (Php240) for my soon-to-be college girl.
- A carafe of cucumber lemonade (Php160), a really refreshing thirst-quencher during that hot day.
The array of side dishes we ordered and the sauces we chose from speak to the versatility of the peri-peri chicken in terms of taste. It can go well with rice or tortilla, accentuated by hummus or coleslaw.
View this post on Instagram
Had a #happylunch with the fam at @pericharcoalph. Highlights were the juicy and tender chicken and the refreshing cucumber lemonade. Review coming soon at beingjellybeans.wordpress.com. #periperichicken #foodie #foodgasm #zomatoph #zomatophfoodie #zomato #beingjellybeans
All in all, the variety in taste and texture made for a filling family lunch.
This Peri-Peri Charcoal Chicken is located at 2nd Floor, Eastwood City Mall, Libis, Quezon City. For reservations, call +63 2 4706884.
Other branches in Metro Manila are located in:
- Alabang: Evia Lifestyle Center along Daang Hari Road (Tel: +63 2 8381016) and Lower Ground Floor, Alabang Town Center (Tel: +63 905 1113747)
- Taguig: Ground Floor, Uptown Parade, Bonifacio Global City (Tel: +63 2 7174408) and Ground Floor, Venice Piazza, McKinley Hill (Tel: +63 917 4222097)
- Pasig: Capitol Commons, Shaw Boulevard cor Meralco Avenue (Tel: +63 2 6560518) and in Ayala Malls Feliz, Dela Paz
- Marikina: Ground Floor, SM City Marikina along Marcos Highway
- Mandaluyong: Fourth Floor Building A and Third Floor Bridgeway, SM Megamall in Ortigas (Tel: +63 2 9412511)
- San Juan: Second Floor, Promenade, Greenhills Shopping Center, Greenhills (Tel: +63 2 6558355)
- Makati: Level 3, Greenbelt 3, Ayala Center (Tel: +63 915 4055614)
- Quezon City: Third Floor, Gateway Mall, Araneta Center, Cubao (Tel: +63 2 2934947), Ground Floor, UP Town Center, Katipunan Avenue, Diliman (Tel: +63 2 2838917), Ground Floor, Trinoma Mall, Baging Pag-asa (Tel: +63 2 7184391) and Ground Floor, Brittany Square, Belfast Road corner Mindanao Avenue, Novaliches
- Manila: Ground Floor, Robinsons Place Manila, Ermita
Learn more about South African cuisine by checking out these books on Amazon.com!
Want to try some recipes today? There’s no need to leave home to shop for ingredients. With Honestbee, just order your groceries online and you’ll get them delivered right at your doorstep at your preferred time. Use this referral link and get Php500 off for a minimum spend of Php2,500. You can download the Honestbee app on iTunes or Google Play.
If you’re in the US and an Amazon Prime member, sign up for a free trial of Amazon Fresh to get your groceries delivered to you.