It is a cliche already but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It fires up your metabolism and gets you going for the rest of the day.
However, in the rush of morning chores and preparations to leave for work or school, family members seldom have the time to prepare and eat breakfast. Fortunately, I came across some recipes for Oatmeal Peanut Butter Breakfast Balls on Pinterest that seem easy to prepare in advance over the weekend and just take out and serve for a quick breakfast before leaving the house.
Another lucky break for me is getting a Super Crunchy Peanut Butter among the sampler jars that Fix & Fogg sent for me to try out.
Fix & Fogg is a maker of small batch peanut butter based in Wellington, New Zealand. Its peanut butter variants have just become available in the Philippines, stocked in retail outlets like All Day Supermarkets, Cartel Deli, Earth Origins Marketplace and Power Plant Market, as well as distributed online via websites such as Beauty MNL, Gerald.PH and the Green Grocer.
I tweaked the original recipe: substituting instant for rolled oats, replacing walnuts with some chopped cashew nuts that I bought from Antipolo, using semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the regular ones and taking out raisins (because I’m not too wild about them).
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup Fix & Fogg Super Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop up the mixture to form domes. (I had to firmly pat down the mixture into the scoop to get some properly shaped domes. If the mixture is not tightly packed, it will easily crumble once you take it off the scoop.)
- Freeze for an hour or until the balls are firm.
- Store in airtight resealable bags inside the chiller.
- Take out the balls you plan to have for breakfast a few minutes before serving (like while you’re still making your coffee).
Recipe yields 22 breakfast balls. Each ball has approximately 87 calories.
My little boy tried one and he immediately wanted another!
Want to try this recipe today? There’s no need to leave home to shop for ingredients. With Honestbee, just order your groceries online and you’ll get them delivered right at your doorstep at your preferred time. Use this referral link and get Php500 off for a minimum spend of Php2,500. You can download the Honestbee app on iTunes or Google Play.
If you’re in the US and an Amazon Prime member, sign up for a free trial of Amazon Fresh to get your groceries delivered to you.
Disclosure: Fix & Fogg provided product samples for me to review. Reactions and opinions about the product are my own.